To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Applying for your visa

If you are starting or continuing your academic journey with us, the first step is to find out what kind of UK visa you may need for your studies at Leeds Beckett University. Visit the UK Visas & Immigration website to find out what kind of UK visa you need.

If you have questions about your Leeds Beckett application, please contact the International Admissions office

How to apply for your visa

Watch our video for help and advice
Plus Icon How to obtain a Visa

The UK Government has a Points Based System (PBS) of immigration for students. You will need to prove that you have the required number of points in order to make an application for your visa. You need to have 40 points altogether; 30 of these are obtained by providing a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number from Leeds Beckett University. The remaining 10 points are obtained by proving you have the correct finances to support your study and your living and accommodation costs.

  1. If you have an unconditional offer to study with us, you can now apply for a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number. A CAS number is required for your student visa application. Download the CAS Request Form as soon as possible, and email the completed form to us. 
  2. Once you have your CAS number from us, you can apply for your UK student visa. You will need to submit your visa application within 90 days before your course start date. To apply, follow the instructions on the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) website.
  3. When your visa is granted, you will receive a confirmation letter from the UKVI which contains information about collecting your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). You should then contact the Student Immigration Advice and Compliance (SIAC) team at Leeds Beckett University with your date of arrival in the UK to schedule an appointment for International Check-In.

We understand that due to visa centre closures caused by Covid-19 restrictions, there may be delays in processing UK visa applications. We encourage you to continue to monitor the status of visa application centres in your country. You are advised to prepare your documents and finances in advance of these centres re-opening. If your visa centre is still closed in September, you may still be able to join your course online initially. Contact us if you would like to discuss your situation. 

Plus Icon English language requirements for Tier 4 visas

For applicants requiring a Tier 4 visa for study for one of our courses at degree level and above (NQF level 6 and above) we will accept these English language qualifications.

Please note that some courses will have a higher English language requirement – please refer to the online prospectus for more information. If you are applying for a course below degree level (NQF level 5 and below) then you must have an English language qualification from the list of Secure English Language Tests (SELT.)

Majority English-speaking countries
For Tier 4 purposes, you do not need to prove your knowledge of English if you are a national of a majority-English speaking country. However, in such cases we still need to see evidence of English for academic purposes (which in most cases is B2 level or higher).

If you are not a national but have graduated from an institution in a majority English-speaking country, you can use your degree certificate to prove your English language ability. In these circumstances, a Naric Statement of Comparabilityis required.

Plus Icon Financial evidence for Tier 4 visas

In order to qualify for a Tier 4 visa you will need to provide evidence that you have enough money to pay for your course fees and your living costs while you are in the UK. The Home Office refers to this as the maintenance (funds) requirements.

Maintenance must be in the form of cash funds. You cannot use evidence of other types of finances, such as shares, bonds or a pension fund. You also cannot use an overdraft facility. The amount of money that you need to have for your maintenance will depend on:

  • how long your course lasts and
  • where you will be studying in the UK

Please ensure you read the following downloadable information carefully as it is important that you know how to provide evidence that you meet the maintenance requirement when making your Tier 4 visa application.

Plus Icon Immigration Health Surcharge

From 6 April 2015 all students applying for Tier 4 visas in order to study in the UK for six months or longer must pay an Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) to enable them to access any National Health Service (NHS) services. For further information please refer to the following links:

Plus Icon Biometric Residence Permits

Leeds Beckett is now an Alternative Collection Location for your Biometric Residence Permit, which is your permit (visa) for being in the UK. This means that you can have your BRP delivered to the University, and you can collect it from us at International Check-In. When you apply for your Tier 4 visa, you can select this option on the BRP collection page by using our ACL Code: 3HE237. 

If you do not choose to use the ACL code, you will have to collect your BRP from a designated Post Office. 

The advantages of using the ACL code are:
• Safe and secure delivery of your BRP to the University
• The University will contact you once your BRP is ready for collection
• No queues or repeated visits to a Post Office to collect your BRP
• Quicker processing at International Check-in when you arrive at the University

The following links have more information about the BRP:

Plus Icon Credibility interviews

As part of the Tier 4 visa application process the Home Office has introduced credibility interviews. As part of your visa application you may be required to attend an online interview where you will be asked a series of questions about your intended course and study destination in the UK. We highly recommend that you prepare for these interviews in advance so that you are confident in answering any questions about your intention to study in the UK. To help with this we have provided some points that you should consider when preparing for a credibility interview.

Plus Icon ATAS

Students applying from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) for study in certain subject areas will need to apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate before they can study in the UK. These can include both taught and research postgraduate courses, and are predominantly in subject areas such as science, engineering and medical subject areas.

When you receive an offer for your course of study, it will be stated on your offer letter if your course requires ATAS.

Courses requiring an ATAS certificate

To find out whether your course of study requires an ATAS certificate, you will first need to know the JACS code for that course. If you are a new student, this should be stated on your offer letter.

A full list of JACS codes which require an ATAS certificate can be found on the ATAS webpages.

If you do require an ATAS certificate it is important that you do not make an immigration application before you have your ATAS certificate as your application will be refused. Remember, you must obtain an ATAS certificate before you begin your studies if you need to have immigration permissions including Tier 4 and non-Tier 4.

There is no additional charge for the ATAS certificate but the application process can take up to 30 working days. You can find more detail about the ATAS and application on ATAS website: online application system.

If you think your course/research may require ATAS and you have not received any information regarding the JACS code for your course please contact International Admissions at:

The application process for ATAS certificates is completely online. When your application is granted, you will be emailed your certificate. Your certificate will be valid for six months. If you change your course of study, university or need to apply for more time as a student, you will need to apply for ATAS again.

Further information can be found on the UK Government website.

Back to Top Button